My Writing

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Would you care for a bat wing?

Recently I decided I wanted to learn to make jerky. I bought a big beef round roast, cut it in to thin strips and marinated it. Then I draped it over the oven racks in my oven.
My kids were horrified. "Mom, those look like bat wings!" They said.

Okay, so they don't look that appetizing in the oven, but this jerky was very good! I couldn't get my kids to try it, but Scott loved it. I got the recipe from a Jackson Hole cookbook. Here it is:

Jerky

3 1/2 pounds meat; beef, elk, moose, antelope, deer

1 c. soy sauce

1 tsp. garlic salt

1 tsp. lemon juice

1 T. Black pepper coarsely ground

1 tsp. liquid smoke

1 tsp. venegar

1/4 tsp. tabasco

1/2 tsp. chili pepper

Mix all ingredients except meat until well blended. Slice meat in 1/4 inch thick slices. Place meat in a very large zip lock bag with marinade mixture overnight refrigerated. The next morning pat meat slices dry with a paper towel. Lay meat on oven racks and bake at 150 for 8 to 10 hours (that is what the recipe said, but my oven's lowest setting was 175 and I actually only had to cook mine for 4 hours). A smoker can be used to cook jerky as well.

So if you don't know what to do with that left over moose rump in your freezer, this is a good way to use it up. Bon appettite!

4 comments:

  1. So, how long does that take to clean up? Off I go to find some elk meat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did you know about the Moose Rump in my freezer? Thanks for the cool recipe. I LOVE jerky to a fault.

    ReplyDelete